12.28.2010

New Mexico Red Chile Sauce

I've been experimenting with red chile recipes for the last couple months and nothing seemed to satisfy my tastes or cravings for spicy, traditional red chile sauce. On Christmas Eve, I went to my uncles house for a holiday party. I was prepared to have to eat my own food, but was pleasantly surprised to learn that the red chile, posole soup and tortilla soup dinner were all gluten-free! I have finally found the perfect red chile sauce. After eating this red chile, it boggles my mind that anyone would continue to make red chile with wheat flour or cornstarch. My experimentation has happily ended thanks to my Uncle Wally!



                                                          New Mexico Red Chile Sauce
                                                                    (Chile Caribe)
Ingredients:
20 dried red chile pods (mild, medium or hot)
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of salt
pinch of mexican oregano
chicken broth (roughly 3/4 of a quart depending on the consistency of the sauce)

Directions:
Rinse chile pods, remove stems, clean out seeds and put in a blender. Add minced garlic, oregano and salt. Set aside. Warm chicken broth in microwave or on stove top until just boiling. In 1/2 cup increments add broth to blender. Puree until smooth. Continue adding broth until consistency is similar to that of tomato sauce. When finished, pour through a strainer to remove any large pieces that were not blended well. Pour into sauce pan on stove and simmer for about 20 minutes. Taste for salt.
Enjoy with all your favorite foods from scrambled eggs to tortilla soup. This is the good stuff. It's everything I've been looking for.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I miss red chile sauce on eggs. I will try this after I try my posole today. :)

    ReplyDelete

PRINT!