11.04.2010

Baked Sweet Potatoes & Garlicky Greens

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've never loved a cookbook more than I LOVE Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. The simple ingredients meld together so beautifully and flavorfully that meat is never missed in a meal. I was having one of those days where my body was craving veggies, so I looked to this awesome cookbook for inspiration. I often forget that one of the most simple meals can be the most satisfying. My some-what vegetarian husband wasn't here to enjoy this with me, but I'm certain he would have loved and appreciated it!


Sauteed Spinach with Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tbs olive oil or grape-seed oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 bunch of fresh spinach
sea salt, to taste
Heat the oil with the garlic and pepper flakes in a skillet over medium-high heat until garlic starts to color. Add the spinach and saute for about 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted and well coated with spices. Remove from heat and sprinkle with sea-salt. Serve.


Baked Sweet Potato 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. If cooking more than one potato, choose potatoes similar in size. Wash and scrub the skins very well to remove any dirt. Wrap each potato in foil, pierce with fork and bake for about 55minutes or until very tender. 
To serve, slice lengthwise break up the flesh with a fork or knife, add butter, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. 


If you want your sweet potato even sweeter, good accompaniments include cinnamon, nutmeg, brown-sugar, molasses or maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PRINT!