In celebration of National Celiac Awareness Month, I made this awesome dish using two of my favorite products, gluten free beer from New Planet and flour from the Gluten Free Bistro. The recipe can also be found on the GFB blog.
24-28 Large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup Bistro Blend gluten free all-purpose flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cups New Planet Tread Lightly gluten-free beer
1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar (or slightly more to taste)
2 cups medium shredded coconut (unsweetened)
Coconut or Canola Oil for frying (enough for shrimp to be just covered in a Dutch oven or other deep pot)
1/2 cup Crofters blood orange spread or orange marmalade
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I used Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce)
1. Mix marmalade, mustard, honey, and hot sauce in a small bowl and refrigerate.
2. Mix coconut and sugar in a small bowl.
3. Whisk together the eggs, gluten free flour, gluten free beer, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
5. Dredge each shrimp in the beer-batter mixture, then the coconut. Place dredged shrimp on parchment paper on large plate or cookie sheet and chill in refrigerator for 30 min to 45 min.
6. Heat enough oil to allow shrimp to be covered in a deep pot. Then place shrimp in oil, 5 to 8 at a time, for 3 minutes, or until dark golden.
7. Using tongs to remove, drain shrimp on paper towel.
8. Serve with prepared dipping sauce.